Corporate & Commercial
The Firm’s Corporate and Commercial practice is well-equipped to steer a transaction from start to finish. Known for our expertise in all ancillary aspects of a transaction such as given below, and ongoing compliance matters, we use an integrated approach working with multiple practice experts to identify the optimal strategy and structure for a client.
The team advises companies, directors, shareholders, partnerships, limited liability partnerships, trusts and other business entities on a range of transactional and regulatory matters, and provides strategic, tailor-made, and comprehensive corporate advisory services.
The Firm has assisted a number of clients across the globe in setting up their business presence in India in various business spheres, associated implementation, and post-set-up compliances/registrations under one roof.
The Firm also assists clients in various event-based legal advisory and compliances ranging from the incorporation of companies, director change and their remuneration in listed and unlisted entities, alteration of capital, alteration of charter documents, obtaining various approvals from RoC, RD, MCA and RBI, conversion of status of company, charge management, annual compliances, etc.
The Firm advises listed companies in obtaining approvals under SEBI (Listing Obligations & Disclosure Requirements) Regulations, 2015 for scheme of merger, listing and trading of new shares, etc. We also assisted our clients in various compounding applications under Companies Act as well as FEMA and have assisted various companies in their striking off and winding up processes.
Abhishek Emmanuel Kisku
Abhishek Emmanuel Kisku currently serves as a Partner at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India and is part of the Dispute Resolution practice. He possesses expertise in mainly civil disputes including corporate and commercial disputes, insolvency & bankruptcy matters, and alternate dispute resolution.
His specialization includes arbitrations, special leave petitions and writ petitions, debt recovery proceedings through proceedings before the DRT, civil suits or ADRs, banking and financial matters including proceedings before the NCLT under IBC. Abhishek has also assisted clients in criminal matters, particularly white-collar crimes and cross-border enforcement of decrees and awards, assisting foreign corporations, including international banks, in enforcing foreign awards and decrees within the Indian legal system.
Throughout his career, Abhishek has appeared before various Courts and Arbitral Tribunals across India, including the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and several High Courts. He has also represented clients before National Company Law Appellate Tribunal (NCLAT), National Company Law Tribunals (NCLT) in New Delhi, Mumbai, Chandigarh and Kolkata, Debt Recovery Tribunals (DRT) at Delhi and Jaipur, Debt Recovery Appellate Tribunals (DRAT), among others.
- Representing Kroll Group, which is a global financial and risk advisory Firm, in a civil suit filed for recovery of monies based on damages under torts to the tune of USD 5 Billion, alleged to have caused destruction of large diamond business of the Plaintiff. The law involved is Indian Law along with the usage of international convention and treaties. The case is significant as this is one of the first and few cases in India which deals with the issue of breach under tort at this scale, which includes the tort of conspiracies against the client including authorities of the Government of India and will lay down jurisprudence on this subject.
- Advising Pidilite Chemicals, Dubai which is incorporated in Dubai against an entity for recovery of dues by way arbitral proceedings before DIAC and / or through proceedings before the local courts at Dubai.
- Represented Mauritius Commercial Bank (“MCB”) in litigation in Hyderabad against Hestia Holdings which is a wholly owned subsidiary of a company in Hyderabad. The said litigation was for the enforcement of a foreign decree obtained by MCB directing Hestia to repay the loan of USD 20 Million. The case is one of the few cases which deals with the enforceability of a foreign decree in India, involving issues such as what is a decree on merits, under what circumstances an ex-parte decree can be enforced etc. which has been upheld by the Supreme Court of India.
- Advised and assisted Escorts Heart Institute and Research Centre Limited before the Sole Arbitrator Mr. Justice (Retd.) Madan Lokur, Former Judge, Supreme Court of India in an arbitration proceeding initiated against it for an alleged wrongful termination of several pharmacy agreements. In the same proceedings, he has also successfully argued client’s Counter Claim and achieved a favourable Award on the same.
- Advised and represented ANI Technologies Pvt. Ltd. (Ola Cabs) in a number of litigations pending adjudication across various jurisdictions in India in relation to disputes over the regulatory framework within which Ola cabs is to operate. Matters includes a Writ Petition before the High Court of Calcutta challenging ban orders against Ola issued by the Government of West Bengal as well as the applicability of the existing taxi licensing scheme to Taxi Aggregators such as Ola.
Abhishek has represented the Central Government in high value matters including sensitive white-collar crime, policy, treaty investment and enforcement matters over the last few years. He is well versed with the Civil, Commercial, Corporate as well as Criminal Laws of India. His main areas of practice are Arbitration (Domestic & International), Criminal Law, Commercial laws, Indirect Taxation, Foreign Trade Policy Matters, Constitutional law, Company Laws, Intellectual Property Laws, Corporate Law, Banking and Finance, Land & Property laws, Labor laws, Cyber laws & E-commerce, Consumer Laws & Anti-Competitive law to name a few. He has also successfully represented major international and national clients.
- Advising and assisting India’s state-owned gas enterprise in a USD 4 billion international energy arbitration arising on account of Russian Sanctions.
- Advising and representing a global technology public company in its disputes enumerating out of its investment in a tech start-up.
- Representing India’s largest hydropower development organization in its arbitral disputes arising out of its hydropower projects.
- Representing a market leading innovative gas solutions and technologies company in its dispute with an Indian central public sector undertaking under the ownership of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India
- Represented and advised the Client before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) tribunals as well as various allied litigations spread across the globe, including England, Mauritius, Cayman Islands, Luxembourg, Dubai, and India. He also handled two multi-million-dollar international arbitrations, seated in Geneva, administered by the LCIA, arising out of a dispute between a Private Equity (PE) Investor and majority shareholder/promoter (in the FMCG space).
Ankit is a Partner Designate at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India and is a part of the firm’s dispute resolution practice.
He has been a trusted adviser to a diverse range of clients from multinational corporations, public sector undertakings, and large Indian corporates to start-ups. Ankit is a versatile litigator who has regularly represented clients across different courts, tribunals, and in international and domestic arbitrations.
His principal areas of practice include commercial arbitration, corporate commercial disputes, and banking & insolvency litigation.
- Acted for Schlumberger in an international commercial arbitration for its lost-in-hole claims exceeding USD 800,000 arising under a contract for directional drilling and allied services in the states of Assam and Arunachal Pradesh.
- Successfully represented PSI InControl Sdn Bhd in an international commercial arbitration for its claims under a contract pertaining to supply of services and equipment for the Mumbai Monorail Project, including proceedings for appointment of arbitrator before the Supreme Court and the Bombay High Court.
- Acted for the American Tower Corporation (ATC) in arbitration proceedings, as well as in Section 9 proceedings for interim relief and Section 11 proceedings for appointment of arbitrator before the Hon’ble Delhi High Court, in respect of its claims against Reliance Communications and Sistema Shyam exceeding 1000 Crores arising out of Master Services Agreements for providing passive telecom infrastructure services.
- Acting for KEC International in ongoing arbitration proceedings arising out of an EPC contract for development of solar power project.
- Acted for and advised Evergreen Power Mauritius Private Limited in SIAC arbitration proceedings arising out of SHA and SPAs executed with a renewable energy major for joint development of renewable energy projects in India.
Anshul Sehgal is a Partner Designate at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India (Litigation) and looks after the dispute resolution practice and possesses vast experience in corporate and commercial disputes, insolvency & bankruptcy matters, litigation and ADR. He is proficient in cross border enforcement of decrees and awards.
Anshul has worked in many fields of law and his experience of over six years extends to virtually all aspects of litigation, dispute resolution and arbitration. Anshul has extensive experience in both domestic and international jurisdictions.
Anshul regularly appears before the Hon’ble Supreme Court of India and various High Courts, more particularly, the High Court of Delhi, the High Court of Bombay, the High Court of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana, High Court of Calcutta, Punjab and Haryana High Court and High Court of Rajasthan. Anshul has been appearing before various Judicial and quasi – judicial forums including, National Company Law Tribunal and the Appellate Tribunal, Debt Recovery Tribunal and the Appellate Tribunal and the National Green Tribunal on behalf of leading multinational banks, financial institutions and non-banking financial companies.
- Advising and representing a key accused in the ongoing Common-Wealth Games (CWG) Scam matter before the Special Judge, C.B.I Court. The accused concerned has been alleged of having conspired with the Organizing Committee Chairman, other public servants and with the accused company’s agents in India forwarding the TSR contract to itself and thereby having caused a loss of over INR 90 crores to the state exchequer.
- Advising and representing one of India’s largest health sector company Fortis Group of Companies in litigation / arbitration involving defending an action of enforcement of a Foreign Arbitral Award, attained favourable monetary domestic Arbitral Award, defending an action before the National Company Law Tribunal against an operational creditor. The Group Companies are Fortis Healthcare Ltd., Fortis Hospitals Ltd., Escorts Heart Institute, SRL Ltd. etc.
- Representing State Bank of India, which is India’s largest public sector bank, in various matters involving insolvency and bankruptcy laws at the National Company Law Tribunal at Delhi, Mumbai, Chennai benches and the Appellate Tribunal at New Delhi.
- Successfully represented Welspun Energy (UP) Pvt. Ltd. before the National Green Tribunal in an appeal against the Environmental Clearance that was granted to our client for setting up a 1320MW Super Critical Thermal Power Plant that involved nuances of various environment protection laws, environmental laws etc.
- Successfully represented Biocon Ltd, one of India’s biggest pharmaceutical companies against Roche in India’s first ever litigation on Biosimilars. The dispute revolves around a Herceptin 2 +ve Metastatic Breast Cancer Drug known as Trastuzumab.
Avisha has 10 years of experience and specializes in Technology laws including Fintech, Data Privacy, and host of other emerging technologies such as E-Commerce, Cloud based Services, OTT Platforms, AI, Crypto Currencies, Blockchain, IoT, Health Tech, and Digital Maps.
She has advised some of the largest global and national technology companies, start-ups and banks/NBFCs on regulatory issues, licenses and approvals, policies and contracts. Some of these include Google India, Airtel Payments, ANI Technologies (Ola), Yum Brands.
She also has extensive experience in advising on corporate law issues including securities laws and foreign exchange.
Apart from corporates, Avisha often works with regulators and industry associations on policy issues, such as IAMAI and RBI on Payments Vision (Nov 2021); FICCI and Ministry of Corporate Affairs on M&A Rules (May 2019); SEBI on policy changes to Takeover Regulations (Aug 2016), meaning and scope of “Control” and reclassification of promoter (Sep 2015).
Avisha is frequently quoted in media articles and writes for financial dailies on issues around legal developments for The Economic Times, Financial Express etc. She also regularly delivers guest lectures at business schools - MDI Gurgaon (Sep 2020, Dec 2019, Aug 2019 – MBA and Executive MBA Programs), Jindal Global Business School (Apr 2019), Shiv Nadar University (Feb 2019), Start-up Leadership Program (Sep 2017).
- Advised Lamborghini S.p.A on software systems to be installed in vehicles from privacy and information technology laws of India.
- Advised Audi Ag on Indian privacy and data protection laws.
- Advised Google India on Fintech laws particularly collection, storage and sharing of KYC details related issues.
- Advised RapiPay Fintech in compliance and structuring related aspects under the Fintech laws and setting up and operationalizing neo banks.
- Advised Microsoft Corporation on mapping policy of India including on collecting/ selling/ licensing map data in India and on ‘remote sensing data’ under the Remote Sensing Data Policy.
Deepak Kumar Thakur
Deepak is amongst the leading practitioners in the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure practice area with a vast experience of over 17 years. He concentrates mainly on the project structuring, pre-development and implementation of the projects, project management during implementation stage, operations and maintenance and related aspects, with respect to projects in India or outside.
His practice varies from advising clients under the public private partnerships' framework, private arrangement or otherwise, in relation to any aspect of the project. He has also been actively involved in the M&A deals involving project companies, especially in renewable energy sector and advising clients on claims and demands arising out of concession/ construction/ development contracts and representing them at the appropriate forums.
Port (including inland waterways)
- Acting for International Finance Corporation (Inland Waterways Project) as transaction counsel for the implementation of the first inland waterways project under public private partnership mode at Kolkata and Patna.
- Acting for and assisting Assystem Energy & Infrastructure (Juridique Groupe), a nuclear energy-based company (through Pinsent Masons) located in France, in the structuring for its proposed investment in India, project documents that it would enter into with the Indian Contractor (Reliance Infrastructure Limited), in relation to the proposed 9900 MW Jaitapur nuclear power project at Madban village of Ratnagiri district in Maharashtra.
- Acting for and advising Accion Investment Management (Cayman) Limited on the acquisition of several wind power projects being implemented and operated by NuPower Renewables Limited in the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Rajasthan.
- Acting for and advising Coastal Gujarat Power Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Power Company Limited) for the development of 5 X 800 MW of thermal power project in Mundra District, Gujarat.
Corporate (M&A and General Corporate)
- Acting for and assisting Digital Domain Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong based listed company in setting up its India business and in obtaining various registrations, shifting of its registered office from one state to the other state.
Deepak is a Partner in the corporate team of the firm’s Mumbai office with over 2 decades of experience. He has extensively advised domestic and international clients on joint ventures, M&A and private equity transactions. He also advises his clients on corporate structuring and matters of general corporate and regulatory nature.
- Advised one of India’s largest corporate conglomerate in its joint venture to develop a resort in Andaman & Nicobar.
- Advising a European global engineering and technology company in setting up a joint venture in India with one of India’s largest conglomerate to set up hydrolyser projects.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Reliance Capital’s on its stake sale to Nippon Life in Reliance Nippon Mutual Fund.
- This deal has been awarded ‘M&A Deal of the Year, 2020 - Midsize’ by the ALB India Law Awards.
- This deal has also been recognized as one of the winning ‘Deals of the Year' 2020 by India Business Law Journal.
- Advised a consortium of domestic and foreign private equity funds in the acquisition of housing finance business of one of the largest Indian private banks.
- Advised TR Capital’s on its investment in Sapphire Foods, the franchisee of KFC and Pizza Hut.
Harish Kumar is a Partner with over 20 (twenty) years of diversified experience in dealing with complex legal issues and enabling solutions and implementation for businesses and clients. He is also a member of the Secretarial Standard Board of ICSI, Academic Board of ICSI and Delhi Chapter of the Chamber of Tax Consultants.
His expertise pans wide range of corporate, and legal matters including corporate restructuring, insolvency, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate disputes, labour & employment and advising on varied aspects concerning corporate governance and regulatory interface.
Harish brings a unique blend of business thinking and strategy to structuring, negotiating, and closing complex commercial and corporate transactions. His background in commerce and corporate laws helps bringing a practical and risk based holistic approach to the practice of law which seamlessly and effectively combines the litigation and helps in delivering the best solution to its clients. Harish has advised various domestic and multinational companies, including number of Fortune 500 companies in areas of corporate, employment and commercial laws.
Harish has extensively dealt with various ministries and departments of Government of India, MCA, SEBI, and RBI. His advisory role also extends to various advice given to Government of India and key industry associations like CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM on various industries concerns and legal issues. Harish has also been a regular speaker at various professional programs/workshops conducted by professional and government bodies.
Harry Chawla has extensive experience in the areas of Banking & Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Real Estate. Harry has advised clients in the banking and financial services sector, real estate sector as well as the hospitality, health care, automobile, aviation, telecom, IT, ITES, consumer goods sectors.
He has represented some of the largest players in the Indian real estate market, including several Indian companies as well as foreign investors. He has also assisted the Government of India as well as State Government(s) in the drafting of legislations in this sector.
Harry has worked closely with a large number of international and domestic corporations with respect to their business in India and abroad, in the areas of general commercial advice, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, corporate restructuring, joint ventures, fund raising and commercial contracts, etc.
He has advised and represented clients on issues pertaining to corporate finance (both domestic and cross border), debt restructuring and refinancing, securitization, acquisition finance, structured finance, bonds and similar instruments. He has acted for both lenders and borrowers and been involved in complex transactions involving multiple lenders across jurisdictions.
He has also participated in the evolution and formulation process of business strategies with several clients, vis-à-vis their new ventures and business initiatives and has advised in establishing, operationalizing and implementing such business strategies of the clients. He has also advised several clients on strategizing in dispute resolution, negotiation and settlement etc.
Itee Singhal is a Partner Designate with the Corporate and Commercial team at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India. Her area of specialization includes company law, securities law, corporate restructuring, fintech, financial services, gaming, legal diligence and general corporate advisory.
She has extensive experience of advising wide range of domestic and multinational clients, including Fortune 500 companies and key Navratna companies, on a various corporate, legal, and regulatory matters, including related to fintech and financial services regulatory, online gaming, schemes of arrangements, takeover, buy back, winding up, fund raising, foreign – inbound and outbound investments, entry and exit strategies, etc.
With prior working experience with leading Chartered Accountancy and Company Secretaries firm, she brings a unique mix of finance, corporate law, structuring, strategy, governance and corporate secretarial practice. She has also extensively dealt with various ministries and government departments such as RBI, SEBI, DEA, Registrar of Companies, and MCA. She has also represented on various contemporary legal issues before organized institutions like FICCI, CII, ICSI etc.
Itee has also authored several research based and op-ed articles on various contemporary subjects in the domain of corporate, securities, fintech, financial services and gaming. She is also a regular invitee for the sessions / seminar on recent legal developments.
Jay is a Partner in the Banking & Finance, Insolvency & Corporate Restructurings and Corporate/M&A/PE teams at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India Mumbai office.
Previously, Jay has been a Partner at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas (Mumbai) (SAM). Before SAM, he was a founder-partner of Verus and was Co-head of the firm’s corporate advisory & transactions practice.
Over the years, Jay has gained considerable experience in Banking & Finance, Restructurings & Insolvency and Corporate/M&A/Joint Ventures/Private Equity and Capital Markets practices.
Banking & Finance
- Advised GMM Pfaudler Ltd. on acquisition finance facilities for its acquisitions in India and abroad.
Insolvency & Corporate Restructurings / Debt Resolution
- Advised UVARCL in its resolution of debts of Reliance Communications Ltd. and Reliance Telecom Ltd. as part of their respective corporate insolvency resolution processes.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Dr. Lal Path Labs Ltd. on its acquisition of Suburban Diagnostics (India) Pvt. Ltd. for INR 12,000 million (approx.).
Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Advised Neev Fund II on its follow-on investment in Blue Planet Environmental Solutions India Pvt. Ltd. – a leading end to end solutions company for waste management and up-cycling.
- Advised Luxottica Group on the restructuring of its Indian operations involving inter alia reduction of capital of RayBan Sun Optics India Limited.
Projects & Infrastructure
- Advised Rolls-Royce Power Systems on its proposed bid as a Contractor in connection with an Asian Development Bank (ADB) funded 70MW gas-based replacement power project at Sivasagar district, Assam.
Kedar Sharma is a Partner at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India. He is working in the firm since 1998 and have 24 years of post-qualification experience. He specializes in the areas of General Corporate, Real Estate, Regulatory, Private Client Practice and Compliance. He has conducted a large number of legal / corporate due-diligence and possesses extensive experience in handling and liasoning with the Governmental and Regulatory Authorities. He has often worked or liaison with the officials of Ministry of Finance (MoF), Reserve Bank of India (RBI), Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA), Department of Telecommunication (DoT) and various other Ministries & Govt. departments for various clarification / approvals / licences etc
Maureen Z. Ralte
Maureen Z. Ralte is a Partner in the M&A and Corporate Practice of the Firm. She has over 15 years’ experience in mergers & acquisitions, private equity, real estate and general corporate advisory. She has worked on a wide variety of corporate transactions across sectors including real estate, hospitality, automobile, renewable energy, banking & finance, tourism, entertainment, marketing, information technology, etc.
She has represented domestic and multinational companies in the negotiation, structuring, preparation and review of transaction documents, in the areas of general commercial advice, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, corporate restructuring, insolvency, joint ventures/ collaborations, fund raising and commercial contracts. She has advised clients on issues relating to general corporate compliances, corporate governance issues, real estate and exchange control laws.
Maureen has worked closely with the in-house departments of leading corporate houses and routinely advises them on complex legal issues.
Mr. Nishant Singh is a Partner at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India and specializes in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity & Venture Capital and Banking & Finance.
Nishant is admitted to practice law in India and the State of New York (USA). In the last 19 years, Nishant has worked on a wide array of equity and debt financing transactions across multiple sectors and countries. In the M&A space, he has worked on listed as well as unlisted company transactions including, public takeover, PIPE, going private, JV and minority or majority equity investments. As regards the debt investment, he advises on structured debt funding and re-structuring transactions.
Nishant also advises corporate houses and HNI’s in relation to investigations by government agencies like Serious Fraud Investigation Office, Central Bureau of Investigation, Enforcement Directorate, Economic Offence Wing for charges of bribery, money laundering, corporate fraud and various other offences and assists clients in formation of internal corporate policies and structures against anti-bribery, anti-corruption, anti-corporate fraud, whistleblowing, anti-sexual harassment, data privacy and cyber security.
Prior to joining Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India, Nishant was a partner with IndusLaw, Mumbai and prior to that with Khaitan & Co, Mumbai. Also, his past international experience of working with the top tier law firms in San Francisco (Perkins Coie LLP), New York and London (Dewey & LeBeouf LLP) offers his clients a distinctive approach and expertise on cross-border deals.
Nishant has consistently been endorsed as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for financial and corporate law in India by IFLR1000 (2019-23) and as an ‘Elite Legal Practitioner’ in Asia Pacific Region by Legal 500 (2018-2022).
Nishant has been recognized as one of the ‘Leading Lawyers of India’ for Banking & Finance, Corporate/M&A and Private Equity by asialaw (2015-2023), and a ‘Rising Star’ by Legal Era Awards 2016.
- Advised Future Group in relation to USD 5 billion debt re-structuring of Future Retail Limited, Future Enterprises Limited, Future Lifestyle Fashions Limited, Future Consumer Limited, Future Supply Chain Solutions Limited, and other unlisted companies for all outstanding debt owed to 28 Indian banks-consortium under the resolution framework for COVID-19-related stress announced by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Advised Agritrade Resources Ltd., a listed company on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in relation to acquisition of SKS Power Generation (Chhattisgarh) Limited through a One Time Settlement of INR 2170 crores (approx. USD 350 million) for all outstanding debt to State Bank of India, L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited and PTC (India) Financial Services Limited.
- Advised Engie Solar SAS and Electro Solaire Private Limited in a project financing for an amount of USD 100 million approximately availed from the Asian Development Bank and Société Générale for setting up a 2x 100MW AC grid-connected solar PV project in Raghanesda Solar Park, Gujarat.
- Advised IndoStar Capital Finance, a listed company, in relation to Brookfield Asset Management’s acquisition of 40% stake for INR 1225 crores through a mix of primary and secondary shares from Everstone Capital, infusion of capital in IndoStar Capital Finance, and public shareholders under the Takeover Code.
- Advised American International Group Inc. in its sale of American Life Insurance Corporation to MetLife Inc. for USD 15.5 billion.
Ritu Bhalla is a Partner in the dispute resolution practice of the Firm. In her career spanning over 3 decades, she has gained extensive experience in corporate commercial disputes, arbitration matters and specialises in litigation and dispute resolution in areas such as banking & finance, insolvency, regulatory, infrastructure, administrative, white-collar, etc.
She has represented both Indian and multinational clients in various fora including Supreme Court, High Courts, NCLAT, NCLT, DRAT, DRT, quasi-judicial tribunals, domestic and international commercial arbitrations, and has also led teams in undertaking investigations and legal forensic assignments.
She has handled high stake matters and has represented clients in several commercial arbitration matters, successfully obtaining favourable awards for her clients. Ritu has also advised clients on critical litigation strategies.
Sudipta’s career spans over 25 years, in diverse settings. He started as an in-house, transitioned to private practice, acquired foreign qualifications, moved to international English Law practice, founded his own firm, and then merged his practice with a top-tier firm.
Sudipta’s practice is presently focused on Cross-border M&A, Banking & Finance, Corporate Advisory, Fund Formation, and Insolvency & Restructuring.
Over the last 25 years, Sudipta has cherished a lead role in high value “pink paper” transactions and business development. In recent years, it has been more the deals that he has managed to stop, restructure/ re-strategize that have added greater value to clientele. His practice has evolved from transactional, to strategic counselling, consensus building and operating as a close confidante - to business leaders, boards, promoters, and entrepreneurs.
He is quoted often and published regularly and speaks frequently in national and international forums and on television talk shows.
Varun comes with over a decade of experience in M&A, private equity and general corporate advisory. Varun’s involvement in various transactions help both the investors as well as the target company navigate a very uncertain regulatory environment and close large investment rounds. He has played instrumental role in bringing clarity on certain grey areas of the regulatory framework, for instance, surrounding restructuring of such ECB Loans. His insights and legal advisory on transactions in relation to private acquisitions of assets during ongoing insolvency of the asset owner’s group companies has been incredible. Varun’s approach towards solving client’s problem is one of his strongest forte. He brings solution-oriented mind set to the table, helping client navigate the transactions in the most reasonable and timely manner and simultaneously creating space for his team to learn, adapt and grow into an even better professional
- Advised Apollo Hospitals in its INR 450 Crore hospital asset acquisition in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Advised a leading real estate company on the resolution and eventual acquisition of a landowning company owning 110 Acres of land valued at over USD 140.5 Million under the pre-packaged insolvency regime.
- Advised M3M India Private Limited (M3M) on INR 900 Crore debt infusion by Oaktree Capital through subscription to NCDs.
- Advised IFFCO and reviewed financing documentations and corresponding amendments thereto, arising out of the restructuring of the credit facilities amounting to USD 850 Million availed of by IFFCO’s foreign subsidiary i.e. Jordan India Fertilizer Company.
- Advised by Kunshan Q Tech Microelectronics (India) Private (QTech) Limited on USD 20 Million External Commercial Borrowings (ECB).
Vasudev has 18 years of experience with specialization in M&A, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital advisory. Vasudev also routinely advises on corporate restructuring, commercial contracts, general corporate and employment law advisory matters.
Vasudev’s experience spreads across sectors, including pharma, retail, real estate, media, telecommunications, IT/ITES, micro finance, liquor, heavy engineering, mining & minerals and defence. He has in-depth knowledge and understanding of various aspects relating to the legal and regulatory jurisprudence and practice in these areas. He also has extensive knowledge of foreign investment & exchange control laws generally and also the gamut of laws routinely associated with the manufacturing and services sector in general.
Vasudev has acted for leading international and India corporate houses and organizations, including Abbott Laboratories, bioMerieux, ArcelorMittal, Wal-Mart, Diageo, Visteon Corporation, Emerson Electric Co., Chemtura Corporation, Tangoe Inc., Middleby Corporation, Adtran Inc., Rambus Inc., Nokia, Christian Louboutin, Photonis Technologies, Hexcel Corporation, Rambus, NexGen Healthcare, Time Inc., Citi Venture Capital International, Wolfensohn Capital Partners, Sequoia, Samsara Capital, Mantri Developers, UTI Venture Funds, Leggett and Platt, Flextronics, Temasek, CapitaLand, Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO), Times Group, DLF Limited and DLF Brands Limited, Continental Hospitals, Medi Assist SM Electronics and MRN Group.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Reliance Capital on a venture capital investment in Naffa Innovations Private Limited engaged in digital payment sector.
- Advised Christian Louboutin S.A. on its 51:49 joint venture with an Indian joint venture partner in the single brand retail space.
- Advised WCP Holdings III (a Wolfensohn Capital Partners fund) and Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO) in connection with their investment in Ujjivan Microfinance Services Private Limited, a leader in the Indian microfinance space.
General Corporate Advisory
- Advised Clifford Chance on a multi-jurisdictional corporate governance survey undertaken for CME Group.
- Advised Wal-Mart in connection with a proposal to set up cash and carry wholesales stores in Southern Indian states.
Vipin's focus areas of practice are mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity foreign investment, general corporate and commercial matters. In his legal experience of a decade, Vipin has structured, negotiated and drafted a wide range of private equity transactions and M&A transactions for foreign and domestic clients across the sectors such as energy and infrastructure, renewables, e-commerce, real estate, etc.
Vipin advises foreign investors and multinational corporations on a wide array of legal issues relating to acquisitions, joint venture agreements, private equity investments, foreign direct investment policy, company laws, etc.
Vivek Kumar Agarwal
Vivek K. Agarwal is a Partner with Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India with over 15 years of diversified experience and has dealt with clients across continents and specializes in dealing with wide array of legal and associated business issues and offers solutions to business and legal needs of clients. He has the experience of advising on wide range of corporate legal matters including advising on India entry/ set-up and exit/ insolvency, corporate governance issues, restructuring, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions.
Vivek has extensively dealt with various ministries and departments of the Government of India including the Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Reserve Bank of India and has also been a contributor to the Government in its efforts to bring about changes in policies and business landscape in India from an ‘Ease of Doing Business’ perspective. He is also a regular contributor to the World Bank in conducting its ‘Ease of Doing Business’ study in India.
Vivek has advised various multinational as well domestic clients in areas of corporate and commercial laws and has helped a number of clients’ set-up their India presence and strategize their business closure and India exit and also on obtaining relevant government approvals. His experience brings in a mix of effective implementation strategy and legal expertise and he strives to deliver the best solution to clients with his practical approach and efforts to balance risk with desired client objective.
- Acted at the behest of one of the largest steel manufacturers in the world in its acquisition of the distressed steel business of the Essar group in India under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Assisted the monitoring agency in negotiations and implementation of the resolution plan of an Indian listed steel major in acquisition of another listed entity in the steel business under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Assisted in completing the acquisition of the shares of the Indian subsidiaries of a leading identity management solutions provider in the United States following which the acquirer became the world leader in biometric identity solutions.
- Assisted a Chinese business house in completion of their asset and business acquisition of Brakes business units from a premier supplier of automotive chassis products to OEMs in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Assisted in setting-up of the successful venture which holds the exclusive right to organize and stage the hugely successful ‘Pro-Kabaddi League’.