The direct tax team at the firm has established itself as a leading expert for businesses and organizations on all aspects of their tax requirements. Our team consists of experienced attorneys and chartered accountants, who understand the complex legal aspects of direct taxation, and specific issues that emanate from an evolving tax environment globally.
We provide tax advisory on complex issues and transactions, assistance in controversy management on a wide gamut of domestic and international tax issues. On the advisory front, the team regularly advises on issues pertaining to corporate tax and transfer pricing, cross-border transactions for both inbound and outbound investments, indirect transfers, spin-offs, share sales, asset sales, business transfers, group restructuring, structuring of revenue and capital flows, establishment of private equity funds and undertakes comprehensive tax due diligences. We provide advice to start-ups on various tax issues, tax advice to individuals and family offices on succession and estate planning and advice our clients on the special tax regimes.
On the controversy management front, the team has extensive experience in handling major tax cases and formulating the appropriate litigation strategy. The team regularly appears before the tax authorities, appellate authorities and the courts for tax cases. Our team specializes in assisting clients right from the stage of investigation and proceedings before quasi-judicial authorities, to complex legal conundrums before the High Court and Supreme Court. We are also equipped to handle proceedings related to black money laws, benami laws, and proceedings before enforcement directorate. The team has extensively worked with eminent tax experts and senior advocates and briefed them on complex tax issues for written opinions and representation before the courts. We have worked with our clients on resolution of international tax disputes through mutual agreement procedure and also advised clients on invoking arbitration under investment treaties for the tax claims. The team has substantial experience in handling investigation proceedings undertaken by the tax authorities (search and seizure) and advised the clients through various stages of investigation and litigation.
We have been able to establish enduring relationships with our clients due to our steadfast commitment of providing bespoke tax solutions in a time bound manner. Over the years, we have assisted clients from diverse fields like telecom, aviation, private equity, media, investment firms, auto components, information technology, non-profit organizations, infrastructure, defence, pharmaceutical, travel, railways, hospitality, real estate, education, renewable energy, carbon credits, wines and spirits, food and beverage (QSR) etc.
Partners we are associated with:
Founder & Managing Partner - New Delhi
Rajiv K Luthra
Founder & Managing Partner - New Delhi
- Anti-Corruption & Compliance
- Banking & Finance
- Capital Markets
- Competition And Anti-trust Law
- Direct Tax
- International Trade
- Intellectual Property
- Management Labour & Employment
- Projects, Energy & Infrastructure
- Real Estate
- Restructuring & Insolvency
- Telecommunications, Media & Technology (Tmt)
- Identified as 'The A List - India's Top Lawyer 2021' by India Business Law Journal
- 'Leader' for Project Finance practice by Who's Who Legal, 2021 & 2020
- ‘Market leader’- IFLR 1000 2020-21
- 'Top Managing Partners', by Forbes India Legal Powerlist 2020
- 'Hall of Fame' for Corporate and M&A, India by Legal 500, 2020
- ‘Managing Partners of the Year’ – ALB India Law Awards 2020
- 'Top 35 Legal Icons, India' - India Business Law Journal, 2020
- ‘National Law Day Award’ by the Prime Minister of India
- ‘The Most Promising Business Leader of Asia’ - Economic Times’ Asian Business Leaders Conclave 2016 - Kuala Lumpur.
- ‘International Jurists Award’ by the Attorney-General and Chief Justice of the United Kingdom
- Lifetime Achievement Award” in the International M&A sector” - 4th Annual International M&A Advisor Awards, New York.
- Honoured as “Legend in Indian Corporate Law” and “Ace Legal Eagle for Indian corporate law, specializing in tax, regulatory & compliance laws” - Asian Business Leadership Forum Excellence Awards, Dubai.
- ‘Managing Partner of the Year’ – IDEX Legal Awards 2016
- ‘Leading Lawyer’ in the areas of Corporate Law, Capital Markets, Mergers & Acquisitions and Project Finance by Chambers Global, Chambers Asia Pacific, IFLR 1000, AsiaLaw and Asia Pacific Legal 500.
- Ranked as a 'Distinguished Practitioner' for Taxation Practice in asialaw 2022-23 Rankings.