The Tax Practice of the Firm is one of the largest among full service law firms in India, and comprises experienced and committed professionals with added competencies/qualifications in accounting, management and economic theory. The inter-disciplinary team provides comprehensive advice and contemporary solutions to its clients on both direct and indirect taxation issues.
The Firm advises several overseas, domestic and multinational clients operating in diverse sectors including aviation, automobile, auto-ancillary industry, retail, real estate, infrastructure projects, media and entertainment, hospitality, Information Technology, and investment funds.
The Team offers legal advisory and representation services across the entire spectrum of indirect taxes, including taxes levied by the central and state governments. The Team also advises and represents clients in matters relating to foreign trade regulatory laws and trade protection measures such as anti-dumping and safeguard duties.
The Firm has considerable experience in advising clients regarding tax optimisation, risk mitigation and structuring of M&A transactions, and other business processes and transactions as well as represented and advised numerous prestigious clients in tax disputes and litigation, before courts and appellate/ adjudicating authorities.
Abhishek has represented the Central Government in high value matters including sensitive white-collar crime, policy, treaty investment and enforcement matters over the last few years. He is well versed with the Civil, Commercial, Corporate as well as Criminal Laws of India. His main areas of practice are Arbitration (Domestic & International), Criminal Law, Commercial laws, Indirect Taxation, Foreign Trade Policy Matters, Constitutional law, Company Laws, Intellectual Property Laws, Corporate Law, Banking and Finance, Land & Property laws, Labor laws, Cyber laws & E-commerce, Consumer Laws & Anti-Competitive law to name a few. He has also successfully represented major international and national clients.
- Advising and assisting India’s state-owned gas enterprise in a USD 4 billion international energy arbitration arising on account of Russian Sanctions.
- Advising and representing a global technology public company in its disputes enumerating out of its investment in a tech start-up.
- Representing India’s largest hydropower development organization in its arbitral disputes arising out of its hydropower projects.
- Representing a market leading innovative gas solutions and technologies company in its dispute with an Indian central public sector undertaking under the ownership of the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India
- Represented and advised the Client before the London Court of International Arbitration (LCIA) tribunals as well as various allied litigations spread across the globe, including England, Mauritius, Cayman Islands, Luxembourg, Dubai, and India. He also handled two multi-million-dollar international arbitrations, seated in Geneva, administered by the LCIA, arising out of a dispute between a Private Equity (PE) Investor and majority shareholder/promoter (in the FMCG space).
Mr. Sanjeev Sachdeva is a Partner in the Tax practice at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India. Sanjeev has over four decades’ experience in the area of Customs, GST, Service Tax, Central Value Added Tax (CENVAT, also called Central Excise) and VAT / Central Sales Tax (CST), and has in-depth understanding of all the Indirect Taxes. Sanjeev also has extensive experience in dealing with issues related to the foreign trade policy and issues related to Special Economic Zones (SEZ).
Before joining Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India, Sanjeev has been a member of the elite Indian Revenue Service. He has the distinction of having worked in the administration, enforcement and legislation of laws related to customs, central excise and service tax. During his stint with the Indian Revenue Service, Sanjeev has handled the assessment and customs clearance of imports and exports at three major Ports (Mumbai, Kolkata and Haldia) and two major international airports (Mumbai and Kolkata). In addition, Sanjeev has the unique experience of having been associated with Policy making as Director in the Tax Research Unit of the Department of Revenue, Government of India. In this capacity he was, most notably, associated with the conceptualization and drafting of many of the current laws in vogue in the areas of customs, central excise and service tax, including the Valuation Rules, Central Excise Rules, CENVAT Credit Rules and the laws related to Service Tax regime.
While in the Revenue Service, Sanjeev as Additional Director General headed two apex enforcement agencies, namely, the Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI) and the Directorate of Central Excise Intelligence (DGCEI). He had an outstanding professional career with the Indian Revenue Services, and was conferred with the Presidential Award of Appreciation Certificate for Specially Distinguished Record of Service on the occasion of Republic Day, 1999.
Sanjeev also appears before departmental adjudicating authorities, the Customs, Excise and Service Tax Appellate Tribunal (CESTAT), VAT Tribunals, High Courts, Supreme Court, FEMA Authorities, Settlement Commission and the Authority on Advance Rulings.