Mergers & Acquisitions
A pioneer in commercial legal advice, our M&A practice is a powerhouse of exclusive, complex M&A activity and corporate advisory matters. We understand our client’s businesses and have the ability to visualize a deal to eventually see it through seamlessly in a timely manner.
Our team has worked on some of the most challenging cross-border and domestic deals, with a strong sectoral focus addressing all of our client’s legal requirements, combined with deep regulatory and market understanding.
The Firm advises buyers and sellers on a range of share purchase and asset purchase transactions across a variety of business sectors, involving private and public listed companies, such as pharma and health, retail, hydro power, oil and gas, automotive, education, real estate, information technology, e-commerce, start-ups, infrastructure, construction, financial services, broadcasting and news media, telecom, etc.
Keeping in mind the convoluted and multifaceted nature of transactions, our team has proficiently applied their knowledge across central pivots of M&A transactions including corporate restructuring, privatizations, stock and asset purchase, joint ventures and strategic alliances, post-merger integration and entry-exit strategies.
Akshit Kapoor has extensive experience in areas of real estate laws, mergers & acquisitions, private client and family office practice, banking and finance, PE investments, insolvency and bankruptcy and corporate restructuring.
Akshit has represented and advised both Indian and International clients on general corporate matters, M&A, joint ventures and commercial contracts across various business sectors like health care, automobile, telecom, consumer goods sector etc.
He has closely collaborated with a wide range of international and domestic corporations, advising them on their business operations in both India and abroad. As being part of the Firm’s real estate practice, he has advised some of the largest real estate companies in India and has been involved in advising numerous international clients for their projects in India.
Akshit has represented and advised HNIs and HNFs, business owners, family offices, corporate fiduciaries as well as charitable and not for profit entities on restructuring, creation of trusts and wills, migration of residency and change in citizenship.
Akshit possesses a profound grasp of the intricate commercial and legal intricacies surrounding land ownership, land acquisition, land use and conversion, regulatory and approval matters, foreign investments, and more.
As part of the Firm’s insolvency and bankruptcy practice, Akshit has gone on to advise clients on exit strategies, refinancing, debt restructuring, distressed sale etc. Akshit specializes in representing distressed funds, bidders’/resolution applicants, lenders / Committee of Creditors, and insolvency professionals in the context of restructurings, insolvency resolution processes, and liquidations governed by the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
Deepak Kumar Thakur
Deepak is amongst the leading practitioners in the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure practice area with a vast experience of over 17 years. He concentrates mainly on the project structuring, pre-development and implementation of the projects, project management during implementation stage, operations and maintenance and related aspects, with respect to projects in India or outside.
His practice varies from advising clients under the public private partnerships' framework, private arrangement or otherwise, in relation to any aspect of the project. He has also been actively involved in the M&A deals involving project companies, especially in renewable energy sector and advising clients on claims and demands arising out of concession/ construction/ development contracts and representing them at the appropriate forums.
Port (including inland waterways)
- Acting for International Finance Corporation (Inland Waterways Project) as transaction counsel for the implementation of the first inland waterways project under public private partnership mode at Kolkata and Patna.
- Acting for and assisting Assystem Energy & Infrastructure (Juridique Groupe), a nuclear energy-based company (through Pinsent Masons) located in France, in the structuring for its proposed investment in India, project documents that it would enter into with the Indian Contractor (Reliance Infrastructure Limited), in relation to the proposed 9900 MW Jaitapur nuclear power project at Madban village of Ratnagiri district in Maharashtra.
- Acting for and advising Accion Investment Management (Cayman) Limited on the acquisition of several wind power projects being implemented and operated by NuPower Renewables Limited in the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka and Rajasthan.
- Acting for and advising Coastal Gujarat Power Limited (a wholly owned subsidiary of Tata Power Company Limited) for the development of 5 X 800 MW of thermal power project in Mundra District, Gujarat.
Corporate (M&A and General Corporate)
- Acting for and assisting Digital Domain Holdings Limited, a Hong Kong based listed company in setting up its India business and in obtaining various registrations, shifting of its registered office from one state to the other state.
Deepak is a Partner in the corporate team of the firm’s Mumbai office with over 2 decades of experience. He has extensively advised domestic and international clients on joint ventures, M&A and private equity transactions. He also advises his clients on corporate structuring and matters of general corporate and regulatory nature.
- Advised one of India’s largest corporate conglomerate in its joint venture to develop a resort in Andaman & Nicobar.
- Advising a European global engineering and technology company in setting up a joint venture in India with one of India’s largest conglomerate to set up hydrolyser projects.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Reliance Capital’s on its stake sale to Nippon Life in Reliance Nippon Mutual Fund.
- This deal has been awarded ‘M&A Deal of the Year, 2020 - Midsize’ by the ALB India Law Awards.
- This deal has also been recognized as one of the winning ‘Deals of the Year' 2020 by India Business Law Journal.
- Advised a consortium of domestic and foreign private equity funds in the acquisition of housing finance business of one of the largest Indian private banks.
- Advised TR Capital’s on its investment in Sapphire Foods, the franchisee of KFC and Pizza Hut.
Harish Kumar is a Partner with over 20 (twenty) years of diversified experience in dealing with complex legal issues and enabling solutions and implementation for businesses and clients. He is also a member of the Secretarial Standard Board of ICSI, Academic Board of ICSI and Delhi Chapter of the Chamber of Tax Consultants.
His expertise pans wide range of corporate, and legal matters including corporate restructuring, insolvency, mergers, acquisitions, joint ventures, corporate disputes, labour & employment and advising on varied aspects concerning corporate governance and regulatory interface.
Harish brings a unique blend of business thinking and strategy to structuring, negotiating, and closing complex commercial and corporate transactions. His background in commerce and corporate laws helps bringing a practical and risk based holistic approach to the practice of law which seamlessly and effectively combines the litigation and helps in delivering the best solution to its clients. Harish has advised various domestic and multinational companies, including number of Fortune 500 companies in areas of corporate, employment and commercial laws.
Harish has extensively dealt with various ministries and departments of Government of India, MCA, SEBI, and RBI. His advisory role also extends to various advice given to Government of India and key industry associations like CII, FICCI, ASSOCHAM on various industries concerns and legal issues. Harish has also been a regular speaker at various professional programs/workshops conducted by professional and government bodies.
Harry Chawla has extensive experience in the areas of Banking & Finance, Mergers & Acquisitions, and Real Estate. Harry has advised clients in the banking and financial services sector, real estate sector as well as the hospitality, health care, automobile, aviation, telecom, IT, ITES, consumer goods sectors.
He has represented some of the largest players in the Indian real estate market, including several Indian companies as well as foreign investors. He has also assisted the Government of India as well as State Government(s) in the drafting of legislations in this sector.
Harry has worked closely with a large number of international and domestic corporations with respect to their business in India and abroad, in the areas of general commercial advice, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, corporate restructuring, joint ventures, fund raising and commercial contracts, etc.
He has advised and represented clients on issues pertaining to corporate finance (both domestic and cross border), debt restructuring and refinancing, securitization, acquisition finance, structured finance, bonds and similar instruments. He has acted for both lenders and borrowers and been involved in complex transactions involving multiple lenders across jurisdictions.
He has also participated in the evolution and formulation process of business strategies with several clients, vis-à-vis their new ventures and business initiatives and has advised in establishing, operationalizing and implementing such business strategies of the clients. He has also advised several clients on strategizing in dispute resolution, negotiation and settlement etc.
Itee Singhal is a Partner Designate with the Corporate and Commercial team at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India. Her area of specialization includes company law, securities law, corporate restructuring, fintech, financial services, gaming, legal diligence and general corporate advisory.
She has extensive experience of advising wide range of domestic and multinational clients, including Fortune 500 companies and key Navratna companies, on a various corporate, legal, and regulatory matters, including related to fintech and financial services regulatory, online gaming, schemes of arrangements, takeover, buy back, winding up, fund raising, foreign – inbound and outbound investments, entry and exit strategies, etc.
With prior working experience with leading Chartered Accountancy and Company Secretaries firm, she brings a unique mix of finance, corporate law, structuring, strategy, governance and corporate secretarial practice. She has also extensively dealt with various ministries and government departments such as RBI, SEBI, DEA, Registrar of Companies, and MCA. She has also represented on various contemporary legal issues before organized institutions like FICCI, CII, ICSI etc.
Itee has also authored several research based and op-ed articles on various contemporary subjects in the domain of corporate, securities, fintech, financial services and gaming. She is also a regular invitee for the sessions / seminar on recent legal developments.
Jay is a Partner in the Banking & Finance, Insolvency & Corporate Restructurings and Corporate/M&A/PE teams at Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India Mumbai office.
Previously, Jay has been a Partner at Shardul Amarchand Mangaldas (Mumbai) (SAM). Before SAM, he was a founder-partner of Verus and was Co-head of the firm’s corporate advisory & transactions practice.
Over the years, Jay has gained considerable experience in Banking & Finance, Restructurings & Insolvency and Corporate/M&A/Joint Ventures/Private Equity and Capital Markets practices.
Banking & Finance
- Advised GMM Pfaudler Ltd. on acquisition finance facilities for its acquisitions in India and abroad.
Insolvency & Corporate Restructurings / Debt Resolution
- Advised UVARCL in its resolution of debts of Reliance Communications Ltd. and Reliance Telecom Ltd. as part of their respective corporate insolvency resolution processes.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Advised Dr. Lal Path Labs Ltd. on its acquisition of Suburban Diagnostics (India) Pvt. Ltd. for INR 12,000 million (approx.).
Private Equity & Venture Capital
- Advised Neev Fund II on its follow-on investment in Blue Planet Environmental Solutions India Pvt. Ltd. – a leading end to end solutions company for waste management and up-cycling.
- Advised Luxottica Group on the restructuring of its Indian operations involving inter alia reduction of capital of RayBan Sun Optics India Limited.
Projects & Infrastructure
- Advised Rolls-Royce Power Systems on its proposed bid as a Contractor in connection with an Asian Development Bank (ADB) funded 70MW gas-based replacement power project at Sivasagar district, Assam.
Maureen Z. Ralte
Maureen Z. Ralte is a Partner in the M&A and Corporate Practice of the Firm. She has over 15 years’ experience in mergers & acquisitions, private equity, real estate and general corporate advisory. She has worked on a wide variety of corporate transactions across sectors including real estate, hospitality, automobile, renewable energy, banking & finance, tourism, entertainment, marketing, information technology, etc.
She has represented domestic and multinational companies in the negotiation, structuring, preparation and review of transaction documents, in the areas of general commercial advice, mergers & acquisitions, private equity, corporate restructuring, insolvency, joint ventures/ collaborations, fund raising and commercial contracts. She has advised clients on issues relating to general corporate compliances, corporate governance issues, real estate and exchange control laws.
Maureen has worked closely with the in-house departments of leading corporate houses and routinely advises them on complex legal issues.
Navin has over 20 years of experience advising clients on large multi-currency and multi- sourced financings, domestic and cross border acquisitions (including club deals and deals run through an auction process), cross border investments and has extensive multi-jurisdictional experience in M&A, finance and security package structuring and advising on, drafting and negotiating transaction documentation. He has specific experience in acting on transactions in emerging markets across a range of sectors including infrastructure, energy, telecommunications, banking and finance, technology and financial services. He also has experience in clean energy financings.
With his significant corporate experience, Navin regularly advises clients on public and private M&A transactions, corporate restructurings, joint ventures and private equity transactions. With a strong M&A focus, he regularly advises clients on structuring M&A transactions, leading the legal due diligence of the target companies and advising on issues arising out of such diligence and drafting and negotiating the transaction documents. Navin also has experience advising on M&A transactions through competitive bidding.
He regularly acts for foreign and domestic clients, including Oaktree Capital, Molson Coors, Sequoia Capital, ANI Technologies (OLA), Mountainia Developers (OYO), InfraCo Asia, Albright Capital, Anheuser Busch InBev, ReNew Power, Avery Dennison, Canadian Solar, Metro Cash & Carry, Sterlite Power, Jacobs Inc.
Mr. Nishant Singh is a Partner at Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India and specializes in the area of Mergers & Acquisitions, Private Equity & Venture Capital and Banking & Finance.
Nishant is admitted to practice law in India and the State of New York (USA). In the last 19 years, Nishant has worked on a wide array of equity and debt financing transactions across multiple sectors and countries. In the M&A space, he has worked on listed as well as unlisted company transactions including, public takeover, PIPE, going private, JV and minority or majority equity investments. As regards the debt investment, he advises on structured debt funding and re-structuring transactions.
Nishant also advises corporate houses and HNI’s in relation to investigations by government agencies like Serious Fraud Investigation Office, Central Bureau of Investigation, Enforcement Directorate, Economic Offence Wing for charges of bribery, money laundering, corporate fraud and various other offences and assists clients in formation of internal corporate policies and structures against anti-bribery, anti-corruption, anti-corporate fraud, whistleblowing, anti-sexual harassment, data privacy and cyber security.
Prior to joining Luthra & Luthra Law Offices India, Nishant was a partner with IndusLaw, Mumbai and prior to that with Khaitan & Co, Mumbai. Also, his past international experience of working with the top tier law firms in San Francisco (Perkins Coie LLP), New York and London (Dewey & LeBeouf LLP) offers his clients a distinctive approach and expertise on cross-border deals.
Nishant has consistently been endorsed as a ‘Leading Lawyer’ for financial and corporate law in India by IFLR1000 (2019-23) and as an ‘Elite Legal Practitioner’ in Asia Pacific Region by Legal 500 (2018-2022).
Nishant has been recognized as one of the ‘Leading Lawyers of India’ for Banking & Finance, Corporate/M&A and Private Equity by asialaw (2015-2023), and a ‘Rising Star’ by Legal Era Awards 2016.
- Advised Future Group in relation to USD 5 billion debt re-structuring of Future Retail Limited, Future Enterprises Limited, Future Lifestyle Fashions Limited, Future Consumer Limited, Future Supply Chain Solutions Limited, and other unlisted companies for all outstanding debt owed to 28 Indian banks-consortium under the resolution framework for COVID-19-related stress announced by the Reserve Bank of India.
- Advised Agritrade Resources Ltd., a listed company on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, in relation to acquisition of SKS Power Generation (Chhattisgarh) Limited through a One Time Settlement of INR 2170 crores (approx. USD 350 million) for all outstanding debt to State Bank of India, L&T Infrastructure Finance Company Limited and PTC (India) Financial Services Limited.
- Advised Engie Solar SAS and Electro Solaire Private Limited in a project financing for an amount of USD 100 million approximately availed from the Asian Development Bank and Société Générale for setting up a 2x 100MW AC grid-connected solar PV project in Raghanesda Solar Park, Gujarat.
- Advised IndoStar Capital Finance, a listed company, in relation to Brookfield Asset Management’s acquisition of 40% stake for INR 1225 crores through a mix of primary and secondary shares from Everstone Capital, infusion of capital in IndoStar Capital Finance, and public shareholders under the Takeover Code.
- Advised American International Group Inc. in its sale of American Life Insurance Corporation to MetLife Inc. for USD 15.5 billion.
Shinoj is a dual-qualified attorney, qualified in India and England & Wales. He has extensive experience in key financial centers of London, New York, Dubai, Mumbai and New Delhi, working on domestic and cross-border M&A transactions and private equity investments. He has acted on both sell and buy-side mandates. Over the last 18 years of his practice, he has advised on transactions with a cumulative deal value of over USD 40 billion.
His practice focuses on corporate transactions, particularly M&A; joint ventures, corporate finance (equity and debt investments); commercial dispute resolution (shareholder disputes, post-closing pricing disputes in M&A); employment matters, governance issues and internal investigations in matters related to anti-bribery & anti-corruption and FCPA & UKBA compliance).
Shinoj’s diverse and global experience gained at Linklaters and Cleary Gottlieb Steen & Hamilton has helped him understand clients’ business and commercial objectives, to advise and implement legal strategies to achieve their objectives most optimally.
Shinoj is closely associated with industry associations like the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce & Industry (FICCI) and Invest India; advising them on ways to promote FDI in key sectors like Infrastructure, Manufacturing & Retail and E-commerce. Additionally, he is also a member of the India-Jersey Advisory Group advising the States of Jersey government on its interactions with the Government of India.
Shinoj regularly lectures at law universities like the National Law School of India University (NLSIU), Bangalore and National University of Juridical Sciences (NUJS), Kolkata. His analytical writing and comments are published in both national and international peer-reviewed journals and industry publications like IFLR, IBLJ, IBA Asia Pacific Journal, The Mint and The Hindu Business Line.
- Advised Anhui Conch Cement Company Limited, China’s largest cement manufacturer on its bid to acquire Lafarge’s cement manufacturing business in North India.
- Advised British Telecom on its USD 90 million acquisition of an Indian telecom company and start its outsourcing operations in India.
- Advised DoIT Smart Hospitality (India) Private Limited on its USD 15.23 million acquisition of the Ambience Hospitality Management Private Limited and its subsidiary which runs The Palms Town and Country Club.
- Advised Everstone on its USD 52 million acquisition of Aon Hewitt’s payroll processing business through a combination of share and asset purchases in India, China, Singapore and Philippines.
- Advised Multiples Private Equity on its USD 35 million investment in Delhivery.
Sudipta’s career spans over 25 years, in diverse settings. He started as an in-house, transitioned to private practice, acquired foreign qualifications, moved to international English Law practice, founded his own firm, and then merged his practice with a top-tier firm.
Sudipta’s practice is presently focused on Cross-border M&A, Banking & Finance, Corporate Advisory, Fund Formation, and Insolvency & Restructuring.
Over the last 25 years, Sudipta has cherished a lead role in high value “pink paper” transactions and business development. In recent years, it has been more the deals that he has managed to stop, restructure/ re-strategize that have added greater value to clientele. His practice has evolved from transactional, to strategic counselling, consensus building and operating as a close confidante - to business leaders, boards, promoters, and entrepreneurs.
He is quoted often and published regularly and speaks frequently in national and international forums and on television talk shows.
Varun comes with over a decade of experience in M&A, private equity and general corporate advisory. Varun’s involvement in various transactions help both the investors as well as the target company navigate a very uncertain regulatory environment and close large investment rounds. He has played instrumental role in bringing clarity on certain grey areas of the regulatory framework, for instance, surrounding restructuring of such ECB Loans. His insights and legal advisory on transactions in relation to private acquisitions of assets during ongoing insolvency of the asset owner’s group companies has been incredible. Varun’s approach towards solving client’s problem is one of his strongest forte. He brings solution-oriented mind set to the table, helping client navigate the transactions in the most reasonable and timely manner and simultaneously creating space for his team to learn, adapt and grow into an even better professional
- Advised Apollo Hospitals in its INR 450 Crore hospital asset acquisition in Gurugram, Haryana.
- Advised a leading real estate company on the resolution and eventual acquisition of a landowning company owning 110 Acres of land valued at over USD 140.5 Million under the pre-packaged insolvency regime.
- Advised M3M India Private Limited (M3M) on INR 900 Crore debt infusion by Oaktree Capital through subscription to NCDs.
- Advised IFFCO and reviewed financing documentations and corresponding amendments thereto, arising out of the restructuring of the credit facilities amounting to USD 850 Million availed of by IFFCO’s foreign subsidiary i.e. Jordan India Fertilizer Company.
- Advised by Kunshan Q Tech Microelectronics (India) Private (QTech) Limited on USD 20 Million External Commercial Borrowings (ECB).
Vasudev has 18 years of experience with specialization in M&A, joint ventures, private equity and venture capital advisory. Vasudev also routinely advises on corporate restructuring, commercial contracts, general corporate and employment law advisory matters.
Vasudev’s experience spreads across sectors, including pharma, retail, real estate, media, telecommunications, IT/ITES, micro finance, liquor, heavy engineering, mining & minerals and defence. He has in-depth knowledge and understanding of various aspects relating to the legal and regulatory jurisprudence and practice in these areas. He also has extensive knowledge of foreign investment & exchange control laws generally and also the gamut of laws routinely associated with the manufacturing and services sector in general.
Vasudev has acted for leading international and India corporate houses and organizations, including Abbott Laboratories, bioMerieux, ArcelorMittal, Wal-Mart, Diageo, Visteon Corporation, Emerson Electric Co., Chemtura Corporation, Tangoe Inc., Middleby Corporation, Adtran Inc., Rambus Inc., Nokia, Christian Louboutin, Photonis Technologies, Hexcel Corporation, Rambus, NexGen Healthcare, Time Inc., Citi Venture Capital International, Wolfensohn Capital Partners, Sequoia, Samsara Capital, Mantri Developers, UTI Venture Funds, Leggett and Platt, Flextronics, Temasek, CapitaLand, Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO), Times Group, DLF Limited and DLF Brands Limited, Continental Hospitals, Medi Assist SM Electronics and MRN Group.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Acted for Reliance Capital on a venture capital investment in Naffa Innovations Private Limited engaged in digital payment sector.
- Advised Christian Louboutin S.A. on its 51:49 joint venture with an Indian joint venture partner in the single brand retail space.
- Advised WCP Holdings III (a Wolfensohn Capital Partners fund) and Nederlandse Financierings-Maatschappij voor Ontwikkelingslanden N.V. (FMO) in connection with their investment in Ujjivan Microfinance Services Private Limited, a leader in the Indian microfinance space.
General Corporate Advisory
- Advised Clifford Chance on a multi-jurisdictional corporate governance survey undertaken for CME Group.
- Advised Wal-Mart in connection with a proposal to set up cash and carry wholesales stores in Southern Indian states.
Vipin's focus areas of practice are mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, private equity foreign investment, general corporate and commercial matters. In his legal experience of a decade, Vipin has structured, negotiated and drafted a wide range of private equity transactions and M&A transactions for foreign and domestic clients across the sectors such as energy and infrastructure, renewables, e-commerce, real estate, etc.
Vipin advises foreign investors and multinational corporations on a wide array of legal issues relating to acquisitions, joint venture agreements, private equity investments, foreign direct investment policy, company laws, etc.
Vivek Kumar Agarwal
Vivek K. Agarwal is a Partner with Luthra and Luthra Law Offices India with over 15 years of diversified experience and has dealt with clients across continents and specializes in dealing with wide array of legal and associated business issues and offers solutions to business and legal needs of clients. He has the experience of advising on wide range of corporate legal matters including advising on India entry/ set-up and exit/ insolvency, corporate governance issues, restructuring, joint ventures, mergers, acquisitions.
Vivek has extensively dealt with various ministries and departments of the Government of India including the Department of Economic Affairs, Department of Revenue, Ministry of Corporate Affairs and Reserve Bank of India and has also been a contributor to the Government in its efforts to bring about changes in policies and business landscape in India from an ‘Ease of Doing Business’ perspective. He is also a regular contributor to the World Bank in conducting its ‘Ease of Doing Business’ study in India.
Vivek has advised various multinational as well domestic clients in areas of corporate and commercial laws and has helped a number of clients’ set-up their India presence and strategize their business closure and India exit and also on obtaining relevant government approvals. His experience brings in a mix of effective implementation strategy and legal expertise and he strives to deliver the best solution to clients with his practical approach and efforts to balance risk with desired client objective.
- Acted at the behest of one of the largest steel manufacturers in the world in its acquisition of the distressed steel business of the Essar group in India under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Assisted the monitoring agency in negotiations and implementation of the resolution plan of an Indian listed steel major in acquisition of another listed entity in the steel business under the Insolvency and Bankruptcy Code, 2016.
- Assisted in completing the acquisition of the shares of the Indian subsidiaries of a leading identity management solutions provider in the United States following which the acquirer became the world leader in biometric identity solutions.
- Assisted a Chinese business house in completion of their asset and business acquisition of Brakes business units from a premier supplier of automotive chassis products to OEMs in the U.S., Europe and Asia.
- Assisted in setting-up of the successful venture which holds the exclusive right to organize and stage the hugely successful ‘Pro-Kabaddi League’.