With nearly 15 years of invaluable experience under his belt, Karan specializes in rendering advisory and legal assistance in the field of foreign and domestic debt financing in India with clients ranging in various sectors including renewables, roads, ports, steel, thermal power, transmission, airports, hospitality, healthcare, real estate.
Karan has a holistic approach to structuring and negotiating finance and restructuring deals, having advised several stakeholders including borrowers, sponsors, lenders and bond-holders. He has advised clients on myriad financing transactions including project finance, structured finance, corporate finance, restructurings, cross-border financings, debenture issuances and overseas direct investments.
Karan’s roster of clients includes New Development Bank, Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A., Intesa Sanpaolo S.P.A, Bank of America, Siemens Bank GmbH, DBS Bank, Société Générale, Japan Bank for International Cooperation (JBIC), Nordic Investment Bank, State Bank of India, PFC Limited, REC Limited, L&T Finance Limited, ICICI Bank, Tata Capital, Aseem Infrastructure, HDFC Bank, Aditya Birla Finance, Virescent (KKR backed renewable platform), Engie, GIP (Global Infrastructure Partners), Enel Group, the Adani Group, Renew Power, amongst others.
He is a Member of the India Committee of APLMA and is on the Editorial board of EQ, one of India’s premier publishing and research houses for renewable energy in India. He has also been featured in the Asia Law Client Servicing Report, 2020, which highlights lawyers who have consistently delivered high quality service to clients.
- Advised Coöperatieve Rabobank U.A., Intesa Sanpaolo S.P.A, Siemens Bank GmbH and Société Générale in connection with the ECB financing of USD 147 Million provided to Renew Solar Urja Private Limited (part of the Renew Power group) for a 300 MW solar power project in the state of Rajasthan.
- Advised DBS Bank in connection with the ECB financing of SGD 470 Million provided to Bharat Mumbai Container Terminals Private Limited (part of the PSA group, Singapore) for the Phase II of the Fourth Container Terminal at Navi, Mumbai, India.
- Advised Infrastructure Finance Company Limited (United Kingdom) in connection with financial assistance in the form of an external commercial borrowing facility aggregating to approximately USD 31 Million, to a company developing, implementing and setting up a 100 MW (AC) solar power project.
- Advised Renew Surya Roshni Private Limited in connection with ECB facilities availed by it from a consortium of 12 lenders for an amount equivalent to USD Equivalent of INR 77.60 Billion in relation to the financing, construction and operation of a 400 MW capacity “Round The Clock” Project.
- Advised SB Energy Six Private Limited (sponsored by SB Energy Holdings Limited, a part of the SoftBank group) in an ECB financing for an aggregate amount of USD 266,400,000 and JPY 7,415,000,000 involving lenders from various jurisdictions including MUFG Bank Limited, Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation, BNP Paribas, Société Générale and Standard Chartered Bank.
- The deal won ‘Indian Green Deal of the Year’ award by Project Finance International (PFI) 2020.
- The deal also won the ‘India Green Project of the Year Award’ at Asset Triple A- Asia Infrastructure Awards 2021.